Pages

Tuesday 28 February 2012

I've been inside a Wormery!


Don't buy a non-tiered wormery if you have short arms!
I have one of those big "Original" wormeries that look like a recycling bin. Its useless - no tea ever came out of the tap,  there were lots of little flies and its too blooming heavy to move with compost in.
OK, most of the problems come down to  poor management on my part and I don't need reminding of that. So today, I bit the bullet and thought I would empty it. I can't reach inside it easily because of my short arms, so I had to turn it on its side and rake out the contents. But, on one side, the tap is in the way and you can't take it off because it has a retaining screw on the inside. The narrow sides are... too narrow... and the lid closes on your head, so you have to swivel it around and lean it onto its far side. BUT if its on the floor you can't scrape the wet compost into anything so you have to raise the bin up onto blocks and its darned heavy, even when only half full.
Eventually I managed to rake out most of  the "compost" into a sturdy trug; then, the inner floor has to be removed - this is the drainage floor and below that, lurks the worm tea. There was a handle of sorts but it was disguised under the sticky compost residue so the whole bin had to be upended and have its bottom banged for the floor to fall out - then I found the handle!
Must remember to put a tray under it next time as most of the hidden "tea" and sticky compost ended up on my shoes and legs!!
You may well ask why I didn't drain the "tea" out first! I tried but the drain hole is above the base of the wormery so it is impossible to drain all the liquid out without upending the bin.
I have dismantled the thing, washed it out and am pondering whether to try it again. The really bad news is - there was no sign of a worm, the good news - maybe I'll grow after all that worm tea I've been paddling in!



5 comments:

  1. Why not put your own tap on the bin, just like you would a water butt, then you could at least get worm tea (just a thought). I've just got a have a worm city wormery, only had it up and running a few weeks so no tea yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expected the tap that was on it to work and had assumed that, because nothing was coming out of the tap, there was no tea. When I ran water in to clean it out, that came out of the tap OK. Its a mystery! Good luck with yours CS, is it a tiered one? They'd be much easier to deal with. I have mine because they are subsidised by the council. Wouldn't have bought this type full price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it's tiered one,I got it because it was discounted as the chap who runs Worm City Wormery's posts on the grapevine think it was £65 instead of £85. Christmas prezzy to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "as the chap who runs Worm City Wormery's posts on the grapevine" actually I am a female :)))))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the wonderful things about our "noms de plume"! Nobody knows for sure what we are! For the record,I'm female too.

    ReplyDelete