Pages

Friday 3 February 2012

Its Oca time again.

  I have been trying to salvage the best I can from my mediocre Oca crop.
Already I have learnt that I should have left the plants until after the frosts before I dug them up - as long as 4 weeks for the tubers to build up underground. Since this is the first week of frosts this winter I would still be waiting. Another 4 weeks would take us up to March. I did leave one Oca untouched in its dustbin and will dig that one up in a couple of weeks.
I also have one Oca, which I found when fossicking around in the dustbin before I dug up the remainder - this I replanted in a pot indoors. It has a shoot about 4" long and is still in the kitchen.
Two Ocarettes
My other experiment has been to put the viable shoots from the dug up Oca crop into water.Some of these shoots have, what I shall call, Ocarettes on them. These tiny little growths appear to have roots and I have planted one of them in the pot.with the other one in the kitchen. The other Ocarettes can grow on a little longer while I ponder what they are and how to treat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment