Pages

Friday 10 February 2012

The Sprouting potato aka the NP40 experiment

Last year's stored Charlotte potatoes are nearly all eaten but can I grow Charlotte's daughters this year!
Having taken the healthiest sprouts from the potatoes, and not having the heart to consign them to the compost heap immediately (and it was icy outside!), I put them in a glass of water. Two days later, they have rooted!
I shall pot them up when I have the urge, and see what happen
For the record, NP40 is not a cryptic code for this experiment, it is the battery that I need to buy for my camera!

8 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see what kind of yield you get. Are they going in pots or the ground? I look forward to updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Currysniffa. Pots I think, and soon! Too cold to put them outside so I'm going to trial them in a pot in the greenhouse. I don't expect a great return - but its free, whatever grows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant experiment, I'll look forward to updates

    You really should have used the code for the experiment, makes it sound all secretive and technical :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right Carol - the NP40 experiment it is!
    New Potato 40?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing Potatoes like this got a mention on GQT today. I don't think they said anything new, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes,I heard it! I was interested to hear them talking about growing spuds from eyea, shoots, sections - I thought that they might have had a sneaky peak at the NP40 experiment! They suggested that the shoots would need growing on in a pot before planting out - and what have I just done?
    Fingers crossed that it works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will be keeping my eyes peeled (pun intended) on the outcome of this experiment. Hope you get a good yield.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Biggreenfingers. Fingers and eyes crossed!!

    ReplyDelete