Pages

Friday 24 August 2012

Black Krim - the taste test!


 Never having grown a black tomato I was unsure about when to pick it. There was a little give in it when I gave it a squeeze so off it came. It has a very short stalk so detaching it was difficult, but I won!
Weighed in at 5 ounces - I only do old measurements.
 It has a very deep dimple in its bottom!

Gloriously dark and juicy -and incredibly sweet - as if it had been dusted with sugar.
Not many seeds but I managed to extract some and they are now fermenting, prior to saving them for   next year.
A last view before lunch!

2 comments:

  1. The Black Toms are all the rage over here in France and sell for a fortune in the shops. Personally I find the colour rather unattractive! However, if you are over-run with tomatoes you can always freeze them (I guess in England they freeze automatically since it is so cold....lol)

    Here is how to go about it http://www.meanygoat.com/too-many-tomatoes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your interest Richard! I find the black tomatoes rather peculiar too - they just don't look like tomatoes should! I wish I was overrun with tomatoes - green ones maybe, but not red or black. Its been such a sunless summer that it will take a miracle for all the green toms to ripen naturally.

    ReplyDelete